Christopher Strachey created the first artificial intelligence program in 1951 which was a checkers-playing program. Artificial Intelligence is already changing the way we live and work. From self-driving cars to voice assistants such as Google Assistant, Siri, and Alexa, AI is already a big part of our lives. Artificial Intelligence involves creating intelligent machines that can not only perform tasks but also outperform humans in certain tasks. Let’s have a look at what is AI.
Evolution of Artificial Intelligence
Artificial intelligence is not a new concept and the development of artificial intelligence started in the early 1950s and has since come a long way. Following is a timeline of how artificial intelligence has evolved over the past few decades-
- 1956 – The term artificial intelligence was coined by John McCarthy at the Dartmouth conference.
- 1969 – The first productive expert systems, DENDRAL and MYCIN were developed at Stanford.
- 1980 – To enable computers to learn from data, machine learning techniques like neural networks and genetic algorithms were created.
- 1997 – IBM created its supercomputer Deep Blue, which defeated then chess champion Gary Kasporov.
- 2000s – Google makes breakthroughs in speech recognition, due to advances in machine learning, natural language processing, and computer vision.
- 2010 – 2019 – Computers were now capable of doing tasks like speech and image recognition with previously unheard-of levels of accuracy owing to deep learning techniques like convolutional neural networks and recurrent neural networks.
- 2020 – Present – Self-driving cars, virtual assistants, medical diagnostics, and drug development are just a few of the many present uses of AI. Many companies unveiled their conversational AI’s like Google Bard, Microsoft Bing, and Chat GPT by Open AI.
Types of Artificial Intelligence
AI may mainly be categorized into four categories, based on the kinds and levels of difficulty of the tasks a system is capable of performing. You can learn more about what is AI technology and its applications by pursuing a machine learning course. They are as follows-
- Reactive Machines: The most basic kind of AI is reactive technology, which is built just to respond to inputs and has no memory or capacity for learning from previous events. It works only on present data.
- Limited Memory: Limited memory AI has the capacity to learn from past data and make decisions based on such data. Speech recognition software and recommendation engines are two examples.
- Theory of Mind: This sort of AI is able to communicate socially and comprehend ideas and emotions. Theory of mind describes a machine’s capacity to perceive and anticipate the thoughts and feelings of other people. It’s still early days for this kind of artificial intelligence and is still not developed.
- Self Awareness: AI machines that have the capacity to acquire a feeling of self and consciousness are referred to as self-aware AI. With the present technology, this is a purely theoretical idea that is not yet feasible.
Subfields of Artificial Intelligence
The study of artificial intelligence is a vast area with several subfields, each of which focuses on a particular use or aspect of AI. Some of the major subfields are-
- Machine Learning: Machine learning uses statistical models and algorithms in order to teach computers to learn from data and make predictions or decisions without explicit programming.
- Natural Language Processing: Speech recognition, language translation, and sentiment analysis are all part of natural language processing (NLP), which uses computer algorithms to interpret and analyze human language.
- Robotics: Robotics is the study of designing, creating, and programming machines that can carry out tasks in a range of situations.
- Neural Networks: Neural networks is a form of machine learning that is modeled after the structure and characteristic of the human brain, allowing computers to learn and make choices in a human-like way.
Get a guaranteed job with our data science course with placement guarantee.
Advantages of Artificial Intelligence
There are several advantages to using artificial intelligence which has become a valuable asset to many industries. Some of the advantages are:
- Less Human Error: AI can perform tasks quickly and with greater accuracy than human beings, leading to improved performance and productivity in many areas. There will always be a possibility of inaccuracy in jobs requiring precision when people are involved.
- Increased Safety: Using AI-powered machines can help in saving human lives and it can be used at high-risk places such as nuclear plants, coal mines, etc.
- Help in Repetitive Tasks: There are several repetitive tasks that we do in our daily lives that take a lot of our time. These tasks can be assigned to machines which will help in reducing costs as well as time. For example – Industries that have production lines have automated a lot of tasks,
- Available 24X7: AI-programmed machines can run 24X7 without getting tired. It can run non-stop and can provide continuous service and support.
Disadvantages of Artificial Intelligence
There are several disadvantages as well as concerns of using artificial intelligence. Some of the disadvantages are:
- Expensive: AI system development and implementation can be costly and complex, needing a lot of resources and knowledge.
- Can’t Think: AI still has a certain limitation, it can only perform tasks and operations that have already been defined. It cannot think for itself and perform additional tasks.
- No Emotions: Machines can perform tasks better and faster than human beings as well as without error. However, emotional connection is important while working which machines still lack.
- Can Lead to Unemployment: AI has definitely made life easier but it has also taken up tasks that were previously done by humans which can lead to large-scale unemployment problems.
Applications of Artificial Intelligence
There are several industries that use artificial intelligence. Some of the examples are:
- AI in Healthcare: With the help of AI, doctors can identify illnesses in patients at an early stage and help in correct diagnosis which can help save patients’ lives.
- AI in Manufacturing and Retail: Many industries have started automating a lot of repetitive tasks that help in saving time and human labor and increase production efficiency.
- AI in Transportation: AI has made a lot of progress in the transportation industry. With self-driving cars to flights running on autopilot.
- Recommending Music and Movies: With the help of AI, online streaming companies are able to provide suggestions to their customers based on their previous interests.
- Fraud Detection: Banks have fed their systems with data regarding transactions that seem fraudulent and non-fraudulent. This helps in predicting if a transaction is correct or not.
The development of AI has been significant in the past few years and learning about what is AI can be beneficial. With the ultimate objective of building robots that can really think and reason like humans, researchers are always looking for new ways to expand the capabilities of AI.