Do you know what Instagram, Spotify, and Uber have in common? They were all developed in Python.
This programming language that now dominates the digital era began as Guido van Rossum’s hobby project. Python’s popularity has made it one of the most lucrative and sought-after programming languages in the job market. If you wish to become an expert Python developer, then trying out Python projects with source code is a great way to get hands-on training and open up your career prospects. In this blog, we will learn about these projects with three levels of difficulty- beginner, intermediate and advanced.
What is Python & Why Should You Try Python Projects?
Python is a high-level programming language ideal for ‘Rapid Application Development’. It works well as a scripting language that can connect existing components. It is a beginner-friendly language. It has no compilation step which means that the edit-test-debug cycle is fast. Its emphasis on readability, modules, and libraries gives it wider applicability. Debugging programs in Python is also very easy. To learn more about how Python works, you can opt for an in-depth online Python course.
Also Read: Python Data Types
Python Projects For Beginners With Source Code
Python uses an easy syntax which makes it the perfect language for beginners. If you have just started learning Python, here is a list of three simple Python projects for beginners that you can try.
Oldschool Snake Game
Do you remember the first game you played on a mobile phone? There is a high probability that the first game you ever played was the ‘Snake’. You can relive this childhood memory by creating ‘Snake’ on Python.
What will you need for this project?
- Python 3.0- This is the latest version of the language and comes with updated built-in objects like string work and dictionaries.
- Turtle- This will allow you to design graphics and shapes. It is a pre-installed Python module.
- Time- It is used to access various time-related features. In this program, we will use this function to count the number of seconds.
- Random- It is used to generate random numbers in Python.
Review the Snake Game Source Code.
Generating a secure password requires both patience and creativity. If you are someone who has a hard time meeting every criterion, Python can be a handy password-generating tool for you. You can develop a code to generate random assortments of alphabets, numbers, and alphanumeric values that will protect your data and profiles.
Steps to Build a Password Generator in Python
- Create two lists using the Python string functions, store all characters as a list in the first list, and then create an empty list to store the generated password.
- Use random.shuffle to shuffle the characters.
- Ask the user for the desired password length.
- Iterate length times to generate the new password.
- Apply the random.choice method to select random characters from the list of characters.
- Next, the random characters need to be added to the password and the resultant list must be randomized.
- Using the join method, create a string from the list of passwords and then print the password.
Review the Password Generator Source Code.
Answer Writing Bot for Reddit
Did you know that you can now link Reddit to a bot and post automated comments based on the questions by other users? Making this bot is simpler than you think. Let us see what you need to make a Reddit bot on Python-
- A Reddit account
Once you have access to the three pre-requisites, follow these steps:
- Choose a subreddit you wish to scan.
- Pick a specific comment you want the bot to search for.
- Make a reply for your bot.
- Next, make a config.py file with your Reddit profile details and a Reddit.py file with the bot requirements.
Review the Reddit Bot Source Code.
Python Intermediate Projects With Source Code
If you have a fair grasp of coding and want to test yourself with a more challenging project, here is a list of simple Python projects for students and experienced coders.
Also Read: Lambda Functions in Python
Personal Voice Assistant
Voice assistants have been the next step in ensuring ease of living. Whether it be the Android-driven OkGoogle or the iOS-powered Siri or even the Amazon Alexa, voice assistants have taken over our daily lives as useful tools.
You can easily develop a personal voice assistant using Python. Here are the modules you will need for this project.
- Subprocesses- This module is included in Python by default. It is used for accessing details of system subprocesses utilized by various commands, such as sleep, shutdown, etc.
- WolframAlpha- This module is used to find expert-level answers. It is based on Wolfram’s algorithms, knowledgebase, and AI technology.
- Pyttsx3- This module works offline and is used to convert text to speech in a program.
- Tkinter- This module is inbuilt in Python. It is used for building GUI.
- Wikipedia– This module is used to get information on Wikipedia.
- Speech Recognition- This module is used to ensure that the system is able to identify your voice.
- Web Browser- This module is used to search the web. It is built-in Python.
- Ecapture- This module allows you to capture images from your camera.
- Pyjokes- This module is used for finding jokes about Python online.
- Datetime- This module displays the date and time.
- Twilio- This module allows you to send messages and make calls.
- Requests- This module is used to make GET and POST requests.
- BeautifulSoup- This module helps you to utilize information from web pages easily.
Review the Voice Assistant Source Code.
Personal Music Player
If you have a passion for music and coding, this will be an interesting project for you. You can create a customized music player using Python that can browse tracks, find your favorite artist, scan music files, and even control the volume of the tracks.
Here’s how to create a music player on Python:
1. Tkinter- It is a lightweight module that allows you to develop cross-platform applications. This means that you can run one code on Windows, macOS, and Linux. In this project, we will use the Tkinter module:
- To load music from files
- To render the application’s menu
- To play, pause, and stop the music using the Pygame library
2. Python Pygame- It provides an inbuilt module called mixer, which allows you to deal with sound files easily, i.e.:
- Loading and playing music
- Pausing and unpausing music
- Stopping the music file
Here’s what you will need for this Python based project:
- Playsong- Loads and plays the active song from the list.
- Pausesong- Pauses the song.
- Stopsong- Stops the song.
- Resumesong- Resumes playing the song.
Review the Music Player Source Code.
Blackjack is one of the most popular card games. It is a game of strategies played with a deck of 52 cards.
To begin the game, every player makes a bet. The dealer gives each player two cards from a shuffled deck. The players add the values of the cards based on their face value, i.e., the number written on the card. King, Queen, and Jack are worth 10 and Aces can be either 1 or 11. Next, the dealer draws two cards, one facing up and the other facing down to be revealed later. The objective of the game is to get a sum higher than the dealers without going above 21.
If the two cards you get are an ace and a face card, you have received the best possible hand. This hand is called Blackjack. Players can also call for a ‘hit’ and get more cards or ‘stay’ with the cards they already have. After the players make their turns, the dealer reveals the second card. If the sum of the cards of a player goes over 21, the player ‘busts’ and loses. If the dealer busts, the players win. Any player who gets a sum higher than the dealer wins.
Review the Blackjack Source Code.
Advanced Python Projects With Source Code
If you are a seasoned programmer who dreams of code, here is a list of advanced Python project ideas with source code that are bound to challenge you.
Find the Face Mask
To execute this project, you need to have a basic understanding of image processing in Python. Python libraries and tools can extract useful information from numerous images. This is possible because machines look at images differently than humans. Here’s what you will need for this project:
- Python- The programming language will load pictures.
- Keras- It is a deep-learning API written in Python. It will allow you to load, serialize, and train the face mask detection dataset from disk.
- OpenCV- This library will be used after the model is trained to test the model. It will also be used to read the image and return an array of color pixels.
Review the Face Mask Detector Source Code.
Anyone who has browsed the internet to gather information or content understands the difficulty of assembling and organizing information from multiple websites. However, with a combination of Python and Django frameworks, you can build a program that simplifies this laborious process.
Here are the steps to make a content aggregator:
- Start by listing out the websites you want to collect information from.
- With the help of libraries, like HTTP request senders, scrape the sites, i.e., use bots to extract content and data from these sites.
- Use the Python library, APScheduler, to manage background content.
- A database will store all the scrapped content.
Review the Content Aggregator Source Code.
Plagiarism is the practice of using someone else’s work and passing it as your own. It is the biggest roadblock for a content editor. Looking out for plagiarism can be difficult without plagiarism finders, which tend to be expensive. Using Python you can create your own plagiarism identifier.
Remember, this project is suited for coders who are familiar with word tokenization and natural language processing. They also need to have a basic understanding of neural networks.
Here’s everything you will need to make a plagiarism identifier on Python:
- TensorFlow- It is a free and open-source library used to develop deep neural networks similar to the human brain.
- Natural Language Toolkit (NLTK)- It is an open-source platform that allows you to build projects in Python that work on human language.
- CSV file- You will need one ‘Text’ column of a CSV file for the input. If you want to use longer texts with special symbols like commas, use more epochs to improve the accuracy.
Review the Plagiarism Checker Source Code.
There is no limit to the number and kinds of projects you can create using Python. Even if you are a novice developer, you can start working on simple Python projects and then make your way to advanced projects. You can also come up with your own Python project ideas and share them with us in the comments section.
Python is used in various projects, including web development (with frameworks like Django and Flask), data analysis (with libraries like Pandas and NumPy), machine learning (with libraries like TensorFlow and PyTorch), and automation (with libraries like Selenium and BeautifulSoup).
* Begin by installing Python software on your computer.
* Determine the scope of work.
* Select an appropriate code editor/ IDE for coding activities.
* Create directories for reference purposes.
Python has been used to code famous things, such as the Instagram platform, Dropbox, YouTube, Reddit, etc.
Yes, making projects is the best way to learn Python. However, it is suggested to have a basic understanding of Python before starting with the projects.
According to Glassdoor, the average salary of a Python Developer starts at 4.5 LPA.
Learning Python in three months is possible with dedicated effort and consistent practice. However, securing a job solely based on three months of Python learning might be challenging.